A Step-by-Step Guide To Make Sugar Skull Cake at Home
This post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a small percentage of the sale, at no cost to you.Please read Disclaimer for more information.
This mouthwatering sugar skull cake comprises a sheet of colorful baked cake on the base. A layer of sweet white thick glaze on the top. This layer is followed by the tempting buttercream designing along with sugar jewels to give the cake the more eye-catchy look. The glaze over the skull cake is easy to make so don’t worry at all. I am sharing this amazing recipe with you today!
So before moving towards my recipe let me first share my story with you.
Why I am Sole Home Baker?
My friend came to meet me last Sunday to get some suggestions for her cake theme party. She was really very excited to try something different. I am a sole home baker in our girls’ gang so I was her go-to person in this regard.
We were done with Halloween a month ago. I tried a sugar skull cake and my friends love it. I suggested her to go with this yummy yet differently looked cake. It will make her cake prominent in her theme party.
As I love baking so she insisted me to bake a cake for her. I was a little bit nervous because it will be my first try to make a cake for anyone.
Delivery of The Cake:
On her theme day, I delivered her a cake and was impatiently waiting for the review.
I am thrilled to share my experience as it was my first attempt and her review amazed me. I am proud that it has turned out really well. Everyone out there enjoyed my cake with a full heart.
My successful experience compelled me to share this with you finally. I wanted to convey this amazing recipe for a very long time. The delay is due to learning a proper way of method implementation and to be sure with those honest reviews of the party.
What Will You Need For Baking a Sugar Skull Cake?
For baking sugar skull cake you don’t need much. All you need is patience, calmness, creativity, and some ingredients.
My initial tries were a complete failure. Probably it will happen to you. But you don’t need to worry. Practice makes a man perfect.
My continuous effort and constant dedication brought me fruitful results. I finally succeeded in getting a perfect Skull cake and look of the glaze, what exactly I want after multiple tries. You just need to be focused.
Well to be honest I can’t portray myself as an expert in it. The entire process that I will be sharing is the demonstration of what I have learned from expert’s sugar skull cake recipes.
I have used sugar jewels and buttercream to give sugar skull cake a scrumptious look. There are various ways of decorating this cake. It’s up to you how well you can design yours’.
If you want to impress your family or guest with your creativity and baking skills do give it a try. It’s simply worth it. If you are making it for your party too, believe me, you will amaze each and everyone out there. If you are not yet impressed with this cake then just give this recipe a try.
This sweet and yummy sugar skull cake is a perfect match for your theme party.
Baking is all about patience. Bringing the cake into a skull look and the entire decorations isn’t an arduous process. You just need a few things and a little bit of calmness.
TIPS TO MAKE SUGAR SKULL CAKE
- All the tools used in baking and decorating a cake should be clean and completely wipe off.
- No water should remain in the bowl or on any tool. It destroys your cake.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool down properly and then start its dressing.
- Prepare a sugar-white glaze and apply it on your skull cake and let it set on a wire rack.
- There are many sugar skull cakes where fondant is used to give the shape of a skull. But, fondant is not easy to handle. It requires complete training.
- So, for home bakers and for beginners sugar glaze, buttercream, and bounties or other edible decorative are easy to use. I preferred this way to decorate my cake.
- There are individuals who layer the cake with ganache, buttercream, etc. You can also layer your cake this way. I use the different color batter to give it a colorful look from inside.
- To get a structure of skull you need to have a baking pan in skull shape.
- Moreover, if you have a wire rack then it would be more helpful to get a proper touch with a parchment paper sheet beneath to avoid any mess on your counter.
- If sugar jewels tray is not in your pantry so don’t worry you can order them online.
- Put your cake in a refrigerator to set it properly. Enjoy your delicious cake.
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR SKULL CAKE
Sugar skull cake is easy to make. Just bake a simple cake. Add colors of your own choice in the batter. Put it in the oven and wait for the cake to rise and cook.
Till that time you can prepare your glaze. Keep all things ready like set your buntings in a bowl and pipe your buttercream.
When the skull cake is baked apply decorations and enjoy.
Hope you will get this recipe and will give a try. Good Luck!
So, here I am sharing the recipe and detail process of sugar skull cake. Follow the instructions step by step and apply them while baking to get your desired outcomes.
Sugar Skull Cake
- Flour 2 cups.
- Baking Powder 3 1/2 teaspoon.
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon.
- Unsalted butter normal / room temperature 1/2 cup.
- Sugar 1 cup.
- Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon.
- Milk 1 cup.
- Eggs 2.
- Food colors are optional and as per choice.
- Sugar 6 cups.
- Light corn syrup 2 tablespoons.
- Water 1/2 cup.
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence.
- 1/2 cup unsalted softened butter.
- 2 cups sugar finely crushed.
- 2 tablespoons milk.
- 3 drops of food color optional.
For the cake batter:
- Take a clean bowl. Add 2 cups flour, 31/2 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt.
- In a separate bowl put ½ cup unsalted butter. Cream the butter with an electric mixer until it turns fluffy and pale.
- Slowly add 1 cup sugar into butter and beat it until well mixed.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla essence, eggs one by one, and beat till the mixture combines well.
- Now take a dry ingredients bowl and put it in 2 half. With each half add milk in the mixture and beat well. The mixture is ready.
- Now take 4 different bowls. Add the mixture in each bowl equally and dye the batter with the different edible colors of your choice.
- Take a baking pan of skull-shaped and grease it with oil. Add lumps of various shades of batter in the pan.
- Insert the pan in an oven and bake at 350F for about 30-40 minutes. After 30 minutes insert a skewer into the cake. If it comes out clean then take out your cake from the oven.
- Let the skull cake cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan. After that shift the cake over a wire rack. Let the cake cool down completely at room temperature.
- Slice off any excessive cake from the top so that cake can get a flat shape.
- To apply sugar glaze again shift the cake on a rack with a parchment paper beneath.
- Apply the glaze over the skull-shaped cake and leave it to set.
- Once the glaze gets set, start decorating the cake with buttercream and jewels.
- Put the Sugar skull cake in the refrigerator.
- Serve the cake and enjoy it.
- Take a bowl and put it on the stove. Pour 6 cups sugar in it.
- Take another bowl and pour corn syrup and water and combine them well.
- Add the mixture to the sugar bowl and mix well.
- Put the pot on low flame and fix the candy thermometer to it.
- Constantly stir and mix the mixture until it gets to 100F. The glaze is ready.
- You can add some color to it. This step is optional.
- Remove the pot from the heat and gently pour the glaze over the skull cake.
- If glaze gets thickened put it again on the heat till it reaches out to the required consistency.
- Let the glaze set over cake until it feels hard when touched.
- Beat the butter with a mixer until it gets fluffy.
- Slowly add sugar and continue beating until properly combined.
- Pour vanilla extract.
- Then start pouring some milk and use the beater for another 3 -4 minutes.
- If you want to add color then apply and again beat the mixture for a few seconds. Your buttercream is ready.
Until now we filled this blog with mouthwatering ingredients, interesting reasons to like it, Recipes, helping tips, and More. This brings me to the end of the article. I have shared my whole experience with you people. Shared some of the tips on the way to make your cake different and stunning. Now it’s up to you how you design the cake. Moreover, people know the type of decoration you think is best for your cake.
You may like to read our other articles on:
- BEST IDEAS FOR BABY BOY CAKES FOR BABY SHOWER
- THE EASIEST MUG CINNAMON CAKE RECIPE
- PUSH POP CAKE – STEP BY STEP GUIDE
If you enjoyed this recipe and would like to keep it close to you at any time, just save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Easy Cake Recipes board.